Sunday, December 28, 2008

You have to want to get better.

There's always room for improvement, you know.  It's the biggest room in the house.
- Louise Heath Leber


In previous posts, I have talked about giving players frameworks which allow them to evaluate their individual performance.  The assumption behind the importance of this framework is that players actually want to get better and are willing to change their play in order to do so.

If you do not actually want to get better, however, then having this framework will do nothing for you.  In fact, nothing that I've written about will do anything for you.  The individual goals, understanding why things happen, defensive philosophies, etc. are all useless if you don't want to get better.

There is a place for players who don't want to get better.  There are many actually.  They are known as pickup games and other people's teams.  The ultimate that is played there is perfectly fine.  It is not, however, the type of ultimate that I am interested in.

On my team though, I have no use for you unless you want to get better.  And, as soon as I stop wanting to get better, I can promise you that I will have no use for myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment